Scotch Fillet Steaks Done Right
- BBQ or Grill
- 4 juicy scotch fillet steaks from Kawungan Quality Meats
- 3 tbsp fresh olive oil extra virgin
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 1.5 teaspoons black pepper
- Prepare your BBQ with one burner on low heat and all others off, We will be cooking over the burner nearest to the one that is on for the first part of this process
- Trim off as much fat as you can ... a flareup from excess fat can ruin the end result
- Rub 1.5 teaspoons of the extra virgin olive oil into both sides of the steaks and then add the salt and pepper making sure that they are evenly spread across both sides of the steaks
- Cook the steaks over the indirect heat for about 20 minutes, (if you have a lid you can close, or a little longer if your BBQ doesn't have a lit) without turning them. If you have a thermometer then test the centre of each steak for a temperature of about 37C
- Turn up the burner that is on to high and move the steaks over the direct heat and cook them there with only 1 turn for around 5 minutes (with the lid closed) or a little longer if you don't have a lid. If you have a thermometer then test the steaks for a temperature of around 52C.You're looking for each steak to have a thin charred crust full of flavour while inside that crust the meat is tender, juicy and evenly cooked.
- When the meat is ready remove it from the grill and allow to rest for around 5 minutes. During this time the temperature of the meat will actually rise instead of reducing
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the steaks before serving.